Friday, January 20, 2012

Snow, snow, snow

Hiya,
Winter has re-arrived in Minnesota. Wind chill of 20 below zero and a harrowing drive to work this morning has really driven the point home. My goal this winter is to not get in an accident with my beautiful Olivia (my Subaru). Only problem being, some MN drivers don't seem to have clue how to drive in the snow. The number of accidents I passed on my drive to work seems to speak to the fact that no, you cannot tailgate when there are two inches of snow on the ground. On the bright side, MN is so much prettier when covered in a nice blanket of snow and it lends itself perfectly to snuggling up with a blanket and getting some studying done.
Work is going really well. There has been a staff change and it has made a huge difference in the success of our family engagement events. I have taken on more responsibility for the family engagement material that we send home, both at the pre-k level and for k-3, which has given me more to do and a sense of actually reaching some families. I've also started teaching beginning level small group EFL classes, which has been a bit of a transition. I prefer larger classes, but the program I am working with is much more supportive of the teachers, so it's an even trade. I am also still working in the reading lab, which I really enjoy, because it is one on one interaction with the students.
I am still studying for the FE1s. This has been both interesting and terrifying. It is literally possible to sue anyone for anything...apparently there is not such thing as "stuff happens" in law. Also, beware, if someone is trespassing on your property and they injure themselves, they can sue you! The levels of ridiculousness involved in tort law seems to know no bounds. I think I can fairly confidently cross that off my list of areas of law I would like to be involved in. It is the most fun to read about, but I think I would lose all faith in humanity if I actually had to practice it.
I have been extremely intrigued by the Republican race and it, much like torts law, has been a constant source of entertainment. I won't delve any further since I know I am in mixed company, but I will say the greatest highlight has come in the form of Colbert's super PAC ad. Regardless of political affiliation I think we can all appreciate it. 30 seconds of pure attack ad genius that takes "corporations as people" to it's logical extreme.
I booked my ticket for Ireland and will head over in March to submit my visa application. Fingers crossed!
I started piano lessons, in order to learn how to play my Melodica. They have been going really well, I am now ok with my right hand, and lack any ability to play with my left hand. It has been an extremely humbling experience for me. The 2nd grader who has lessons before me sounds like Chopin in comparison to me.
I hope everything is well with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment