Hello all! Winter it seems has arrived in Ireland. I am not entirely sure what happened to autumn. The weather decided to transition straight from summer sun to freezing windy rain. I left the house wearing a sweater this morning and it is now well into wool jacket weather. Hopefully this is just a random cold snap as this early arrival is both confusing and distressing.
I have started going to my clubs and societies. So far I have had two day of archery which I am really enjoying. I did archery for a semester at Olaf and loved it so I am happy to get back into the swing of things in Galway. I went to DJ soc as well this week but about 50 other people showed up so we didn't really learn much. Next week they are planning to split us down into smaller groups so we can actually get a chance to use the turn tables. This is all very over my head so I am happy that I will be embarrassing myself in front of a small group instead of in front of 50 ppl.
Yesterday was Arthur's Day, which is basically just an excuse for everyone to drink Guinness and go mad. I did not participate in the festivities because of class but, I could hear the world wide toast at 17:59 in my apartment!
Tonight there is some sort of free arts festival in Galway. I am not quite clear on what exactly it is, but a bunch of the theatres and art galleries are hosting events. As I type this I am listening to the Contempo string quartet play in the lobby of the library for the festival. Sam and I are heading down to his mom's studio space for free printmaking classes.
This weekend I am trying to figure out a way to get to Drum, Athlone to visit what is basically a glorified petting zoo, Glendeer Pet Farm http://www.glendeer.com/
I read about it in one of the tourist pamphlets and have decided that I absolutely must go. Unfortunately it looks like buses don't run there and it closes Sept. 30th. I might have to put this mission on hold until next summer. But, I am trying my best to figure something out for this weekend. They have LLAMAS and GUINEA PIGS! Hopefully I can figure something out!
Last Monday I had a grand day out in Galway. Went to the Galway cathedral from some free organ music, went on a hike along the river and went snorkeling. I haven't been snorkeling in ages! It was great fun but sadly the Irish waters leave a bit to be desired in terms of interesting aquatic life. I saw a crab and some tiny fish. Bit disappointing but great fun all the same.
I have officially registered for all of my classes, including the Econ. class I wanted to get into so badly. I am over the moon about finally being done with all that hassle and getting into all the courses I wanted.
Monday I should have Internet in my apartment, so fingers crossed! This means I will have no excuse not to upload photos :)
Hope everyone is keeping well!
culture night: looks like first night we have in some cities new years eve. galway's website is http://www.galwayculturenight.com/
ReplyDelete